When it’s time to upgrade your commercial-size AC unit, as a business/facility owner, you want to make sure you are replacing it with the correct size. Installing the accurate size AC system can save you money in costly repairs if it’s too small and overworked or the extra expense of buying a unit that is too large.
HVAC units are measured in increments of half-tons and their capacity is quantified in British Thermal Units (Btu), which represent the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit. For instance, a 1-ton air conditioning unit can eliminate around 12,000 Btu per hour. To estimate the Btu requirements of your commercial building, you can utilize a step-by-step process using an air conditioner size calculator:
- Calculate the square footage of the facility or specific areas you want to cool.
- Divide the square footage by 500.
- Multiply the result by 12,000 to determine the approximate base Btu number needed for cooling.
- Add 380 Btu for each person occupying the space, using an average or estimate if needed.
- Include 1,000 Btu for each window and 1,200 Btu for each kitchen area.
Other factors come into consideration when selecting the right size AC unit. Take note of how these factors apply to your building.
- Square Footage
- Amount of Insulation
- Average Temperatures
- Occupants in the Building
- Heat-Generated Machinery
- Type and Condition of Windows
You can calculate and estimate and predict what size AC system you may need but save money and start on the right foot by getting the help of a professional. Quigley techs are trained and experienced in working with business and property owners to meet their HVAC needs. Share your thoughts and ideas with your Quigley professional and let them help you get the perfect system for your facility. Then continue to protect your investment with our Q Club HVAC Maintenance plans. Never worry about missing routine maintenance that will keep your equipment’s warranty in good standing.